Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Our adventure to the Grand Canyon

A couple weekends ago our family ventured out for a few nights spent camping at the Grand Canyon. I had never seen it before and I was so impressed with the sheer beauty and grandness of it all. I can't wait to go again and spend more time exploring.

The kids did great on the drive up and Heidi was sooo excited to camp. We arrived and set up camp in a jiffy. Trent set up the tent AND provided entertainment!
Here are a few highlights:
Heidi loved all the telescopes along the rim. We never put any coins in to make them actually work but she didn't seem to mind.
Our good friends, the Gentry's, joined us in our camping adventures. The kiddos played hard! Here they are out in the "forest". They carried their chairs out there to watch the birds.


Heidi was Mommy's buddy while we did a bit of hiking. Believe me, I did not let go of that little hand!
And Nathan stayed strapped securely to Daddy's back. We were a good team.
This family pic makes it look like we took a serious Grand Canyon hike. We didn't! Our hike was just right for 3-year old legs.

Heidi thought roasting marshmallows was super cool...

And....this just might be my favorite picture from the trip:
Nathan enjoyed getting as DIRTY as possible for 3 days.
What I learned after camping for 3 days with 2 small children:
- I loved seeing them be kids, get dirty, play with sticks and rocks, and have so much FUN.
- night time was not my favorite. Sleep wasn't exactly plentiful :)
- sleeping and cooking outside with two little people is a lot of work!!!!
- getting away from our suburbia and just enjoying eachother and our surroundings was GREAT!


And just a picture in closing...within in 20 minutes or so of being home Heidi was bathed, hair thouroughly combed and decked out in her princess attire!

5 comments:

Capri Clifton said...

How cute! I LOVE all those pics, they really make me smile! I think i also love the fact that at the end heidi is being a princess once more... Typical!!! :)

Di said...

LOL! I LOVE that pic of little Nathan- and I'm Thrilled that Heidi is still loving that dress! Looks like a fun trip :)

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

Oh I'm sad we couldn't go with...looks like fun, and Will would have a ball. We need to make sure we go to the Grand Canyon before we move away. Love that picture of Nathan all dirty!

Alisa said...

Looks like such fun! The dirty Nathan picture made me laugh. Can't wait for our trip!

wisp said...

How wonderful! Camping together sounds so fun! I love Trent's entertainment, too! xD I've seen that expression on his face before. lol I'm so excited for when we have family excursions with our kids! And for pigtails!!! =D