Lately at our house we've had an obsession with princesses. In fact, when we call her royal highness anything but "Princess" (including her name) she corrects us: "No I'm not Heidi, I'm the Princess." Even "Princess Heidi" won't work. She is even hoping to convice her church nursery teachers of the name change. Any suggestions for how we can channel this intensity? Sometimes we just want to ask her to clear her plate or throw something in the trash and we forget her naming preferences. I've tried many times to explain how she is Heidi and that it is so fun to pretend to be a princess. However, she assures me she is most certainly not pretending. She is just really THE Princess!
7 comments:
Oh wow! That sounds all to familiar, only it was Lewis and Clark -- our "Clark" insisting (no, let's just call it demanding) that we call them those names. I'm sure dealing with a girl is different, but we just had to have a sit down conversation with him and firmly tell him that, as his parents, we chose their names because we loved those names. And that IS what we would be calling him. If he would like to use those names while he used his imagination in play that was fine with us, but we would continue to call them by their given names. It got us off the hook, but they still (almost 7 years later) call each other that. And so do all the friends/neighbors. And so do all the neighbors' mothers! Thankfully, I've been ok with that and been able to laugh.
Maybe you should introduce her to the name Cordelia. (Do you know that movie? Definitely a favorite of mine!)
Good luck. . . these strong personalities have great purpose, I'm sure of that!
Ummm. Good luck with that one! I thought of Dionne's Lewis & Clark right away, too! :) She's a sweetheart, and we can't wait to see you next week!
I wonder if she tried to correct Oakley and I on the phone when we were calling her Heidi...oh well! She's a princess to Oakley. Oh, girls are also mermaids, so swimmer or not, Heidi has been called a mermaid at our house.
she is a crack up! i have no idea how to deal with that situation but looking from the outside, it's pretty cute. :) hang in there while you figure out what to do with that princess!
LOL...How was Princess Ariel on the drive, or Princess Belle, or Princess? What is her name today?
I randomly think of her "No I'm a PRINCESS!!!" throughout my day and chuckle to myself. Definitely something where the cuteness wears off quick. I have no suggestions...sorry. :)
I love it. This princess stage doesn't last long in the span of a girls life. She is really taking it to the extreme. She is a corker
Post a Comment