Monday, November 1, 2010

New York!

Monster sized post- read if you'd like. I'm including lots of details :)


What a trip this was! A couple weeks ago I had the great chance to go on a trip to New York to see some very special people. My good friend Gaby has lived there for four years and my parents are currently serving a mission for our church there. Trent was nice enough to hold down the fort here and let me go on a kid-free journey. I was pretty nervous to leave the kids as I'd never left for more than a night before. Trent had school so we had some great help from wonderful friends and family. Turns out everyone did wonderfully and it was a much-needed break from the everday routine for me.


My sister, Beth, left her four kiddos in Utah and met me at the airport in NYC. Wow, so exciting.


Gaby was kind enough to meet us at the airport. I wish I had a picture of our reunion. I was so excited to see her that I just about jumped a little fence to give her a big squeeze. She trekked with us across the city and took us to her cute apartment. It was sooo great to finally get a chance to be in her home!


She had to work the next day so she set us loose with some instructions for the subway and a map. After starting at Time Square we got on a bus and headed to the Empire State Building.


I thought this was a breathtaking view of the early morning sunshine and that HUGE building.




We took the elevaotor ride to the top. It was amazing. It was quiet and breezy. You could hear the roar of the city beneath.




Afterwards, we headed to Chinatown. (sorry, no pics there) We wandered for a long time and enjoyed shopping and eating. Next stop was Ground Zero. This was a very humbling and solemn place. It was hard to believe and comprehend the magnitude of events that happened there. By this point we were nearly dead on our feet. But, knowing that we had basically one ay to explore the city we kept trucking as fast as we could.


We hopped right on the Staten Island Ferry and rode there and back just to see the sights. This was a great (and free!) way to see NYC from a different perspective.


Beth and I on the ride over:

Just had to add this picture because we laughed SO hard about it later and it's a funny memory. Here I am on the ferry posing with the Statue of Liberty behind me. It was very windy and my scarf blew up in my face so fast I didn't even know it happened. So, when we looked at pictures later we were surprised to find this strange shot...heehee.


Here is Lady Liberty. She is gorgeous and it made me so proud to be an American.

Gaby met up with us after she finished at work. We were so glad to be under her watchful care again and were happy to end our self-navigation. The rest of the night we gladly followed her around like little lost puppies.

Next stop was Grimaldi's Pizza. This little shop is under the Brooklyn Bridge and is definetly worth the 45 minute wait outside. A line forms outside and then the owner (pictured below in the blue sweatshirt) comes out to take you in when it's your turn. He called our party of 3 in and then as soon as we were standing in the lobby turns to us very grumpily and asks, "Who told you that you could come in." We responded by explaining that he did. He said, "I did not!". Gaby and Beth turned and headed to the door as fast as they could. I, on the otherhand was stuck because he had a tight grip on my arm. Then he just started to laugh and invited us in. He had quite the sense of humor. The pizza was YUMMY! And the atmosphere was so fun.

After a delightful meal we went out and this is what we saw:


Gorgeous? I think so.


Gaby and I next to the Brooklyn Bridge with the city behind us. SOO fun to be there with you, Gaby!!

Beth and I. Feeling free as birds playing in the city! So fun to have some one on one time together.

Gorgeous walk across the Brooklyn Bridge:
Our evening finished with a stop at the most charming pastry shop where we enjoyed a sweet treat. Then we went home and nearly COLLAPSED from fatigue.


Then...the next morning, guess who came into the city?

Yup, our wonderful missionary parents. That was a pretty neat reunion on the streets of NYC.
We all went to see the Broadway production of "Million Dollar Quartet". This was a great show and complete entertainment. They had us laughing and tapping our toes the whole time.
After the show we had to say goodbye to Gaby as she headed back to her apartment. That time together went waaaay to fast. It always does though, right? Gaby is one of those great friends where even if you haven't seen eachother for a long time you can pick up right where you left off.


My parents then took us and we made our way out of the city to the town where they are serving. This is the view of the city from across the Hudson River:


As we drove out of the city we found autumn and it was gorgeous. I haven't had any fall time for a few years and seeing leaves changing colors fed my soul!

And so did this:

I cannot tell you how neat it was to be with my parents as missionaries. To see where they are, what they are doing, and who they are serving was just wonderful. Sunday Beth and I had to give talks in their sacrament meeting. The branch is very tiny so visitors are given the priveledge of speaking :) Then I also ended up giving 2 musical numbers at the last minute. It was a busy Sunday!
The view over the Deleware River:

A gorgeous little pond near Mom and Dad's apartment:
Monday was spent taggin' along as they did their missionary work. We started the day off visiting Elvis in the prison who they visit weekly, and visiting a few other investigators. Watching my parents as missionaries made me realize what a wonderful job they are doing. They are working hard and the people there are so lucky to have them.

Tuesday found us saying our goodbyes and riding the train back to the city. It was sad to leave and end such a great time! Thanks for the wonderful trip!!
After a non-eventful flight and one novel later I landed in Phoenix. Trent's sister Monica (who had been watching the kids the last couple days of the trip) was so nice to pick me up from the airport. I was SOOO excited to see Heidi and Nathan. After not seeing them for 6 days, I was more than ready to give them hugs and hold my babies on my lap again. :)

6 comments:

Becky said...

Looks like you had a ton of fun. I am a little jealous.

Monica said...

Thanks for pictures and stories...finally! I'm so glad you and Beth got some child-free time to visit NYC!

Alisa said...

Yay! What an awesome post about an awesome trip! Can I just say I LOVE the autumn shots? And that pond picture! I want to have it framed on my wall! Someday I shall see the east coast in the fall...sigh. Thanks for sharing! Your parents are cutie patooties btw.

Carrie said...

Wow, looks like you had a blast!! I LOVE the scarf picture!!!

Di said...

FUN!!! So excited you got to have that trip :) You got some GREAT pics (yes the scarf was super ;) that one of you sitting on the wall made my stomach flip though, and it's just a pic...

Gabrielle Germaine said...

wow! apparently me falling off the radar includes not reading your blog in far to long! This post made me miss you! Seriously, one of my all time favorite memories is you at the airport... lol you really did almost jump over that gate... ahahahhaha

Oh man can I see you soon again?! It was soooo sad to say goodbye!