Monday, May 9, 2011

Tiny Little Caterpillar

Ok, so I know some of you might not be too excited about a post all about a CATERPILLAR. But, it's been pretty exciting stuff around here so I wanted to document it. A neighbor of mine orders caterpillars every year and this was our second year of getting to participate with our own.
They start off soooo tiny...

And then they eat, eat, eat that gross looking stuff at the bottom of their container. They grow so fast I'm quite sure if you had the time you could sit and just watch their growth. It really is quite amazing!

You can see how much bigger it is a few days later. See all the silk it started to create?

When you see them start to hang in this "J" shape from the lid, you know the chrysalis stage is coming. I really wanted to be able to see the transformation this time. We were keeping our eyes on it nearly constantly. What would you know- it transformed while I was in the shower! And the other while we were at the park! I've decided they must like peace and quiet to do their business.

Our two little friends in their new state. Absolutely fascinating!

What a thrill it is to look in one day and see two glorious butterflies!
Heidi and I gave them bananas coated in sugar water and just loved watching them eat.
And then we released them first thing the next morning. We were fresh out of bed and let them out into the beautiful morning air to find a new home.
Here Heidi is taking one last look at them...
One had flown out and one still thinking about it...
They both landed in nearby trees for a few minutes before flying away. Heidi was quite convinced that hers was "pressing" and egg to lay its own caterpillar.
In this picture she is demonstrating the "pressing" on an egg. See the clenched fists? See Nathan in the background wondering what in the world she is trying to do? Heehee.
And this is Heidi reciting her caterpillar poem.
Such a fun science experiment. I'm pretty sure Mom and Dad were just as excited about it as the kiddos!

2 comments:

Alisa said...

love it! You forgot to mention how she trembles a bit when "pressing." hee hee. Such a cutie!

Dionne said...

Oh, we would have fun being neighbors! For showing a house's sake we didn't get to do any animals this year. . . next year maybe?!

Those little brains are capable of so much learning.