Nathan fell on some tile when he was about two years old and his top front teeth got a really hard impact. They became discolored and we had them xrayed frequently to make sure everything was okay underneath and decided to just wait for them to fall out at the proper age.
As we were getting ready for church a few Sundays ago I noticed his gum line looking a little funny. When I lifted his lip to take a look I was greeted by this painful looking abscess.
These are the moments when it is handy to have a dentist turning oral surgeon in the house :)
The tooth, of course, needed to be pulled--the sooner the better.
Someone at church has a periodontist dad who has a local office and was so nice to open the office on Sunday evening so Trent could take this tooth out with laughing gas and the whole works. We were so grateful not to have to wait longer than necessary. I wasn't sure how Nathan would feel about this procedure but he left the house skipping and SO excited to be Daddy's patient.
Trent said he did wonderfully and was a great patient. He said the hardest part wasn't quieting down his little patient, but was being worried he would hurt him and make going to the dentist a bad experience. Once that tooth was out the offending abscess took care of itself.
Nathan came home with his little tooth in an envelope and a window in his mouth. He was more than excited to be the first family member to lose a tooth. Heidi was a bit flabbergasted that he would be receiving the first tooth fairy visit when she has been waiting so patiently for so long to lose a tooth. She handled it quite well; suddenly several of her teeth felt "loose."
Here he is the next day feeling happy to look like such a big boy. (Not sure why his eyes look so sleepy :)


1 comment:
So special! How I love reading about you guys. I resolve to be better at blogging!
Post a Comment