In the last few weeks we've been busy with recitals!
Heidi had her spring recital at the Lexington Opera House for dance. It is a beautiful venue and such a neat experience for the kids to perform on stage for a large crowd.
Heidi had two special parts in the dance: a heel stretch in the middle of the dance and splits at the very end. She was warming up before we left to drive downtown and was practicing getting into the splits. Matthew was bound and determine to follow suit. I LOVE this picture of him trying to slide into the splits in his little jeans!
Heidi has a real knack for following her dance with exactness and it was neat to watch her shine. Great job, little dancer!
The following week my friend Bridget and I joined forces for a violin/piano recital. It was such an inspiring evening. I really enjoyed listening to all these little people and knowing just how hard they worked to progress on their instrument. Seeing their self-confidence grow as they master their pieces made me so proud!
Heidi played Sleeping Beauty Waltz and Honky Tonk Ride, a duet with her friend Rebecca.
She did great. She is really beginning to enjoy her time on the piano. I'm grateful to have a wonderful teacher for her.
I had eight violin students perform.
Here is Lily performing some Twinkle Variations...
And my very own Heidi girl, also working on Twinkle Variations.
Here is this cute group, minus Nathan and Nicola. Nathan will be performing at our next recital as he's working hard to get ready.
I LOVE this little group of kids! It really has been a great group. Teaching violin this year has not been without some sacrifices and stresses. I've taught a couple afternoons/week and it's a tricky time of day for me to teach. Juggling after school things, Matthew, dinner etc. left me with some days wondering if its was worth it. As the year went on, as Matthew got older, and as I got more organized with my "system" of having dinner ready to go afterward, FHE etc. things got easier. The rewards of teaching are significant for me: I love teaching little people and watching them progress and learn to love music, I love cultivating and having the chance to maintain my own talents, and I love the focus of music it has brought into my home.

1 comment:
aw, special! I am so excited for my kids to start. If you lived here still, I definitely would hire you to teach them!
Post a Comment