After being in Utah for about a month, I was able to go to Tennessee to see Trent. Thanks to the generous help from family, the kids stayed behind in Utah. It was so great to spend some time together and to explore a new area. We had so much fun, I took hardly any pictures! Trent had to work all day Friday so I got to know the city on my own. I wish I could have gotten more pics but being the driver and photographer at the same time doesn't mix too well. It was so fun to explore and do a little shopping but I couldn't wait for the evening when we could have a much-needed date night.
After Trent finished his day at the hospital Friday night, I picked him up and we explored Knoxville. I hadn't been to the south much before this trip and it was such a pleasure.
After dinner we found this lake and enjoyed the evening here. There were even lightning bugs flying through the air. Such a childhood memory for me! I just loved getting a little taste of Tennessee and the south.
On Saturday we flew to Kentucky. To make a long story short we ended up flying to Michigan and ended up in Ohio. Then we drove to Lexington. It was quite the day. Pretty funny when all was said and done (only funny because we weren't flying with small children!) Our original airplane had problems so they had to reroute us around the country to get to the neighboring state. We felt pretty special because they upgraded us to first-class on the flight. They were the last 2 seats available and we didn't mind one bit!
After driving into Lexington we were starving as we hadn't eaten all day and were anxious to find a place to stop before settling in at our hotel for the night. I was puzzled as we got off the freeway exit that everything was closed and it was only around 8:30 pm. Turns out the power was out due to a severe thunderstorm that had just passed through the area! Not eating was not an option at that point so we backtracked to the next town. After eating and getting some groceries there we headed back to Lexington to see if we could check into our hotel. When we pulled up (near 11 pm) all the hotel workers were standing in the front with glowsticks to greet us. They said they would likely be out of power for awhile and so they put us up in a differest hotel across town. We rolled into our new hotel (quite an upgrade from our original!) near midnight very happy to settle in. Very strange experience navigating a new city with no traffic signals or street lights.
After church on Sunday we had the chance to drive around some Lexington horse country. These pictures don't really do it justice as they are just out my car window.
These pastures house the million dollar horses that win the Derby!
Lots of these stone fences dating back to the 1915-1930's.
Luckily all this time, my children were in the best of care and having a great time! I left Trent in Lexington to finish out 2 more weeks of work and I flew back to Utah.
6 comments:
So, who made up the tour guide history? j/k I think that is great to have seen such BEAUTIFUL pastures! I had no idea you had these adventures with Trent. We should talk more often...
What a fun trip--and all the spontanaiety and adventure to top it off.
Wow! Looks gorgeous! And I love your family pictures you got done. Glad we got to see you for a little bit before I left.
You were so close to me! *reaches* We drove through Knoxville on our way out to North Carolina. :) I'm glad you got to see what the south is like more! It makes me feel less far from you all. ^_^ Sounds like you had quite a time and made some good memories. I miss you!
Ummm. These stories are hillarious! Seriously...glow sticks at the hotel?! I'm going to giggle at that image for a while! :) SO glad you 2 had a fun trip. Those are SO necessary - proud of you for doing it!
Holy cow! Looks so beautiful!! I SUPPOSE I just might be ok to come visit you in one of these gorgeous places.
Post a Comment