Sunday, August 19, 2012

Thoughts on My New Life



                                         
One of my favorite roads...

This is definitely a journaling post for me but I wanted to take some time to record some of my feelings of the last little while:
We have hit the two month mark of taking up residence as Kentucky-ians. So far so good. There have been a lot of adjustments to be made and many more over the coming months but life is starting to take on a more "normal" feeling.

Trent hit the ground running right away in his work at the hospital. I think he would report that there is so much to learn in so little time and that the learning curve is steep. A lot has been expected of him right from the start and its a completely different world from the dental school world he was so comfortable in a few months ago. His rotation right now is in the VA hospital and I can tell he is really starting to know the ropes more and become faster and more comfortable. He leaves by 5:30 AM each morning and comes home by 8 or 8:30 PM each night. It's a long day and it's a good thing he is such a hard worker! He is on call 3 or 4 times a week right now so he often works longer hours due to meeting the call needs. One of my favorite things so far has been listening to him talk to a patient's spouse or parent who has post-op concerns. He will respond to these concerns when he is on call and I really enjoy listening to him validate their concerns and address their needs. His compassionate heart is going to bless the lives of his patients and it is definitely a skill he has been given.

Moving to a new area and getting used to Trent being gone so much of the time has been an adjustment for me. I miss the days of being able to eat dinner together but I know it's temporary and that makes all the difference! Thankfully, I really feel like I've been strengthened and buoyed up to have the stamina to meet the demands of my new "single mom" lifestyle and help my family through the adjustment. Moving really empties out one's life of the usual demands and obligations. We were so busy with church, family, social and community obligations before the move that it feels odd for our calendar to be so much more open. I have REALLY missed my AZ friends and family dearly. Thank goodness for phone chats and email! My more flexible schedule has really given me the chance to re-evaluate and re-prioritize so that has been good.
The folks in our neighborhood and church have been super friendly. Thankfully we have felt instant fellowship and friendship in many ways. Of course it takes time to form meaningful friendships but it has been a lifesaver for me to have gals who have been so friendly and people to do things with.

People in Kentucky are just generally friendly. Really. I don't know if it's a bit of southern hospitality but there aren't many people who aren't just about willing to give you the shirt off their back! Or invite you to church. :) This is the MOST religious place I have ever been. There are so so many churches here and I have been invited to church by lots of people- many neighbors, electric company worker, girl at Chick-Fil-A, standing in line at Hobby Lobby, just to name a few. Many chances to share things about our church!

The weather has been an absolute treat for me. People tried to scare me about the humid summer before coming here. But let me tell you, it has been just fine. :) Sure there have been some sticky days that I'm very grateful to have A/C. But there are also gray, rainy days. Or big booming thunderstorms with drenching rain. I LOVE the variety. And there is a hint of fall in the air this last week, a little preview. It has been 75 or 80 and breezy and I can just feel fall inching it's way in and I cannot wait!

Heidi will be starting Kindergarten tomorrow. At home. (gasp!) After searching high and low in my county and the next for a half-day kindergarten program we have decided to keep her at home this year. In all of my whole county there is not ONE public half-day kindergarten class. There are many great private options but we had a pretty tough time finding one that wouldn't over-strain our budget. Trent and I didn't feel like a full day was the right option for her this year so she will be learning at home with me. At first I was a little disappointed I couldn't send her to the traditional, fun kindergarten experience because I think she would eat it up. But since realizing that this was the right option for now I've gotten excited to get to share in her learning. She is a curious, dynamic little girl and it will be my privilege to be an eye witness to her discovery. And to get to have her in my nest for one more year :)

Nathan is loving his new life here. Being the worker boy that he is he is in heaven with our home improvement projects and the freedom he has to go in and out of the house to work on his "projects". We are all loving having a real yard and some dirt to dig in but he is especially in his element. I passed some new portal of "being a mom to a boy" a couple weeks ago when I found a tick on his head! SO GROSS. I was reading to him and running my fingers through his hair when I found what I thought was a scab. After closer inspection I realized that the scab had legs that were wiggling. After looking up the proper removal of ticks on the internet and wishing Trent was home to do it, I grabbed the tweezers and popped that bad boy out of my baby's head. I was completely grossed out and mandated that both kids get in the bath right away because I couldn't bear the thought that there might be another hiding somewhere else on someone's body. And then I went and took a hot shower. :) I'm sure some of you who have lived places where this is a regular, normal happening might think I'm a huge wimp but this was new territory for me. Yikes.

All in all, life is good and we have much to be grateful for during this new season. Promise for more pictures and less words in the next post.




5 comments:

Dionne said...

Long hours, house projects, ticks. . . Emily, I wish I lived closer to you. I'd say that I'm still a tick wimp but a mother does what she has to do, right?! I'm so glad you are excited about having Heidi at home -- she's a lucky little girl :)

You're a good woman, Emily.

the Claytons said...

I loved reading this! Good thing you spotted that tick on Nathan's head.. so gross! We miss you guys!

Jennifer said...

Did you burn the children's clothes? Something to consider next time :-) (this is Matthew Neal by the way)

Di said...

Ughhh, totally would have yigged on the tick bit- GO You!!!! I might have to shower just reading about it....brings back girls' camp memories! ;)

Alisa said...

Aw, I miss you so much.