Sunday, March 15, 2015

The Arrival of Thomas Lee

Thomas Lee Clifton  was born at 5:24 AM on January 28th, 2015. He weighed in at 9 lbs 6 oz and was 21 inches long. We were so very happy to finally meet him!




The end of this pregnancy was really relatively comfortable. I felt big and awkward, of course, but I was sleeping well up until the very end and not overly miserable. For 3 weeks before his birth I knew that I was dilating and having quite a few contractions--just nothing regular. At 38 weeks I was dilated to a 4+ and 70% effaced. About a week or so before he arrived I began having several bouts of false labor which were quite intense and had me fooled a few times. I'd get crampy with contractions and kind of shaky and just felt like things were really stirred up. This happened several times but each time it would stop as suddenly as it would start. I had many reassurances leading up to the birth that Heavenly Father was perfectly aware of the timing of this birth and that all would work out; those feelings really kept me feeling calm and content overall.

On the morning of his birth I woke up at 4:00 AM to use the bathroom and felt suspiciously "funny". I returned to bed for ten minutes and decided to listen to my birth affirmations to see if these might turn into real contractions. After my false labor from previous days I didn't want to get my hopes up. After the ten minutes past I woke Trent up and told him I thought he better get up and get dressed. He got up for a minute and then decided this was false labor and went back to sleep. I took a very fast shower and started having timeable contractions by the time I was out and dressed. They felt short and spaced out to me but I had Trent time a few and was SHOCKED to hear that they were at least a minute long and 1-3 minutes apart. Trent called the midwife and let her know we would be leaving soon and that although I had just woken up things seemed serious and quick.

Trent let our neighbor Nora in the door and while he was explaining where the bedding was I knelt down by the bed during a contraction and my water broke! I was really upset because in the past my water only has broken right before needing to push. And true to form, I needed to push almost immediately. Nora came in the room with me while Trent put the bag in the car and rubbed my back and said a prayer that all would go well. I managed to walk down the stairs and by the time I was in the basement I REALLY needed to push and was quite concerned that the baby was coming and NOW.

I turned to Trent and asked him if he thought we should leave for the hospital or stay home and have the baby. I really wasn't capable of making a decision of that magnitude at that moment. We all stood and thought for maybe 30 very tenuous seconds and Trent said, "Let's get in the car." So I asked him to grab all the clean towels he could from the bathroom and we got in the car. At this point a nice ride in an ambulance sounded strangely appealing, but I'm not sure we could have waited for them to arrive, let alone get us to the hospital on time.

It was 14 degrees outside but gratefully roads were clear and traffic-free and we were able to drive very fast through city streets. Thank goodness for HypnoBirthing! I was nearly silent the whole drive to the hospital as I concentrated on NOT having the baby and prayed all the way there that I wouldn't have to have this baby in the front seat of the Honda. We both concentrated on the classical music Trent had on the radio and hoped for the best. Trent called the hospital as we drove and let them know that I was feeling in an urgent way and they said they'd meet us at the curb with a wheelchair. Two nurses whisked me upstairs to a room while Trent parked the car.

Things were a little disorganized and chaotic as I got in the room. My midwife wasn't there and the nurses were hurrying to get things set up. A few things were apparent to me right away: 1) I was ready to push and was beyond relieved to see that hospital bed. 2) The nurses were busy and distracted so getting myself comfortable would be up to me. I adjusted the bed the way I liked it and waited for Trent.

Trent ran in the room and started to set up my HypoBirthing music when he heard the nurse announce that baby was coming on the next contraction after she checked me. None of the nurses were making motions to deliver this baby so Trent ran across the room for some gloves and got ready to do a Daddy-assisted delivery :) As usual, Trent is my main and most amazing birth supporter! Even though we weren't expecting it to work that way I think it will be neat to tell Thomas that Daddy delivered him. After two quick pushes Thomas was born! It had all happened so fast I literally said, "It''s over?!" I couldn't believe I had a baby here and it had been so fast I didn't even feel exhausted or depleted. It was a surreal experience.

There had been meconium in the water so there was some elevated concern for his condition when he first came out. He was pink and vigorous and had an apgar score of 9,9 and quickly showed us he was just fine.  Oh, I was overjoyed to see that little pink body and perfect, chubby face. There is no moment that compares to meeting your precious babe for the first time. It is so special and cherished to me and a spiritual moment I will treasure forever. Heaven and earth are truly so near during those moments.

Mommy Baby together at last!

Daddy and Thomas. The nurse had Trent give Thomas his first bath--after all, this was his fourth baby!


Trent brought the kids over from our friends' house (the Francis family) to meet their little brother. They were so excited! I had been concerned with how Matthew would react to seeing me in the hospital bed but he was thrilled, Here they are closely inspecting him. Matthew was a bit concerned about the belly button...

Four kids!

I love that our hospital treats Mommy Daddy to a special celebratory steak dinner. Food tastes so yummy after having a baby. And this was a fun in-the-hospital date. In fact, I've decided that the more babies you have the more the time in the hospital with your spouse actually does feel sorta like a date. 

We were discharged the following day. I was really excited to take Thomas home and be together as a family. 

 On our way to the van with our new bundle! 
 Welcome to the world, Thomas. We are so happy you are ours!

2 comments:

Dacia said...

Such an awesome story!

Di said...

Awww! Welcome Thomas!!! Oh how I miss you my Emily Friend!!! Wish I could figure another KY trip out... ;) Really MUST talk to you soon and catch up! Hugs and love to you all!