So, I've been working on getting our 3-month's supply of food, toiletries, and other daily nesseceties in order. As I was contemplating the cost and space that would be required to stockpile diapers for two children, I decided an option B was in order. I decided to just get a few basic cloth diapers, pins, and covers that could get us by in an emergency. As I was looking on the internet for a good deal on some diapers, I realized there is a whole "cloth diaper" world I didn't know exsisted. Boy, have they come a long way! There are so many new designs and materials that make it a more convenient, clean, leak-proof, and cute option than in years gone by. No more diaper dunking!
Well, I really started researching all the different kinds and got kinda excited about trying them out...not just for emergencies. . To be honest, in the past, I've been pretty turned off by the idea of cloth diapers. I've always thought of it as inconvenient and quite frankly, yucky! But, as I've researched things I've realized how well it works for some families and how it has really turned into a much tidier process than in the past. While there are many motivating factors for people choosing cloth, money is my biggest motivation at this point. I have been blown away at the cost of diapering my babies in disposables and I would be so THRILLED if this was a way we could save some $$.
I was excited when I found a company that would let me try out several different kinds of diapers for 3 weeks for only $10.00! I had to give them a security deposit, of course, but that will be returned (with the exception of my $10.00) at the end of the trial period if the diapers are returned. Just what I've been looking for! So, I'm currently on day 3 of my cloth diaper "experiement". I've already found a couple that I really like and a couple that I don't care for so much. I'll keep you posted.
6 comments:
I'd be curious to hear your "results" -- I've known many green people who have used them but never even been interested in asking much.
very interesting and brave of you. keep us posted, cause I can't imagine a possible way to avoid the "yucky" part. that is such a good idea for storage.
Hmmm, you'll have to show me the diapers when I see you next. I'm curious yet still leary! How do you aviod the "dunking"?
Indeed! An awesome idea if it can get around the utter ickiness of the past. I've known a lot of families that could have done without expensive disposables.
We'll be waiting for those results...VERY curious like everyone else about avoiding the dunking...let us know! :)
Okay, how's it going? I'm impressed by your research, that 'world' is so vast and well, I've never cared for the idea either...but you're right, for storage purposes it makes more sense! Way to go!
Post a Comment