In August we had the chance to join my family on a two part family reunion in the midwest, beginning in Iowa. Iowa is a big part of my heritage and the place where I have my earliest childhood memories and I was excited to show the kids. Trent wasn't able to miss school so it would be just the kids
The kids did well on the flight and we were miraculoously able to wrangle the luggage and carseats to the rental car. I sorta felt like superwoman by the time we made it to the hotel. Everyone was gathering from their various parts of the country but the kids and I were the first to check in for the day.
Trent completely surprised me with showing up at the hotel that night! I was laying in bed Friday evening when my brother Ben texted me and said to come into the hallway. There was Trent waiting right there! I was soooo happy to have him there to share the weekend with us.
The highlight of our time there was our bus tour of the home place and all the other big family sites. My dad had arranged to rent a school bus and we all piled in and he gave us a guided tour.
This was the home where my dad grew up and where I spent the first 5 years of my life.
We stopped at the Clayton and Payton cemeteries and it was so nice to be there.
The whole gang gathered over the Raccoon River.
We even made a stop to wander through Grandpa's corn field. There isn't anything like Iowa corn.
Me and all my siblings on the front steps of the homestead.
On Sunday we went first to an LDS church service, then to the local Presbyterian church where my dad attended growing up, and then to an extended family gathering. It was so fun to see relatives that I haven't seen since I was a teenager and just to feel a sense of family!
Our time there was short but so sweet. Trent flew out on Sunday evening and then the kids and I left early Monday morning for our drive to Minnesota...


No comments:
Post a Comment