Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Matthew at 18-20 months

Matthew has had so many new changes the last few months. This is officially SUCH a fun and cute age. I love that he is contanstly learning something new and that he keeps all of us so entertained with his antics. It is also a challenging age as he is wanting more and more independence (which is great in the long run!) but challenging to navigate his new found independence.

- Loves to be outside. He will be outside in the yard any chance he gets. He is just loves the chickens and talks about them a lot. He has learned that they are pretty curious about him and he isn't too much taller than they are. Their friendly curiosity has instilled a little caution around them which is fine with me.

- He has two little bikes on the back deck and he loves recruiting a sibling to go out and ride them together.

- Sleeps great. Goes to bed at 7:00 pm and wakes up around 7:00 am. He naps from 1:00-3:00 pm. Occasionally longer if given the chance that I don't have to wake him up to pick up kids from school etc.

- He has been super attached to me but we've had some major breakthroughs the last couple months. When we were in Utah in September I needed to leave all 3 kids with my sister Lisa while I went on a sisters retreat with Trent's family. I was really anxious about it as he'd barely let me leave him at all. Turns out he did great with no trauma. It was a positive experience for all of us :) Since that point he has been doing great when I leave him with a friend or sitter for doctor's appointments etc. Wahoo!!! We are still having some significant challenges with nursery. He had a great week a few weeks ago and let me leave him. Then they combined nurseries and the chaos level went way up. Ever since he's cried and they have to bring him to me. Sigh.

- He loves to eat! Favorites are cheerios and milk, oatmeal,eggs, applesauce, yogurt, apples, bananas, carrots, rice, pasta, cheese, mixed veggies, quesadillas.

- Lots of new words. He is talking mostly in one word spurts but occasionally combines two words. Ma-Ma and Da-Da morphed to Mommy and Daddy. Sissy has morphed to Heidi. And he says Nathan all the time now. Other high frequency words are car, broom (truck), eat, please, excuse me, me, a long series of the letter A indicating that he wants to write or color (this happens while big kids do school work), hot (which means cook most of the time), bath, bike, chi-chi (chicken), sure, shoes, shoo-shoo (violin)


He LOVES wearing these noise blocking headphones. Can you tell?

I know he isn't thrilled in this picture but it captures well his adoring siblings, even if he is feeling bothered.

Work gloves!

Favorite part of leaf raking is hopping in the bin with the leaves. 

Needless to say, this sweater was in the "too small" pile but hadn't yet been put away. Daddy found it and Matthew was warm while he played outside. 


This boy is obsessed with being in the kitchen and helping with anything he can. We are decorating Halloween cookies here...

He loved using this box for his dog house. 

He was pretty thrilled with our Halloween decorations (which are quite few in number). I can't wait to see what he thinks when we pull out the Christmas decorations!

The last couple months we have really seen him changing from baby to little boy, which is bittersweet. So glad you are ours, Matthew!

2 comments:

Dacia said...

He is so cute! I am so glad that he's getting better about not having you around all the time! He did so well with Lisa, I'm glad it's been continual progression! And I think my favorite word he said was "sure". He is so sweet!

Alisa said...

He is so cute and yummy looking! I love his nose wrinkle. Can't wait to see the new little guy.