Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Birth-day.

I wanted to share some of the details of Nathan's arrival while they are still so new and fresh. Really, the whole event was beautiful and very spiritual for me and many details and feelings will just be kept close to my heart. But, I can't help wanting to share some of my experience here.
Friday AM I had a doctor's appt. My midwife told me I was dilated to a 5cm and she stripped my membranes. The rest of the day was spent walking, resting, and waiting for something to happen! I had some contractions throughout the day...nothing I couldn't walk or talk through.
That evening my parents, brother, and niece drove in from Utah. We enjoyed pizza together that night. My mom and niece thought they should just spend the night at our house...just in case. I assued them that I'm sure we'd be fine and if labor started, there would be plenty of time for them to come stay with Heidi. My mother (being of the wise variety) stayed the night at our house anyway.
Trent and I went to bed at midnight...a bit discouraged that we might spend the whole weekend still with no baby.
At 2 AM, I got up to go to the bathroom. By the time I got back to bed I was having a good, strong contraction. I woke up Trent and said I thought I needed him. The next contraction came and I knew that this meant business. No "warm-up" contractions at this point. This was the real deal. Thse feelings were so welcome to me because I knew that they were bringing baby closer to me.
We quickly realized that we needed to hurry to the hospital. This was not in my "plan". I thought I'd have lots of time to labor at home. But, my body was on a schedule and I knew I wanted to be where I would have the baby SOON.
I was quickly admitted (they let me skip triage..thank goodness) and we met my midwife in the room. Trent qucikly put on my relaxation music and dimmed the lights. I felt so safe and supported and just ready to trust my body to bring this baby to the world. The contractions were strong and close but it was such an amazing feeling to know what they were doing. I relaxed between contractions doing the relaxation/visualization that I'd practiced for so many months. Trent was right by my side the whole time reminding me of my strength and capability. Trent and Janice would help me during contractions with light, reasuuring touches and words. Everyone spoke softly and there was such an amazing reverence in the room. My body was functioning just as it should, baby's heart beat was strong, and I was focused on the job at hand!
Not long afterwards, and two pushes later, Nathan came into the world so healthy and strong! Trent caught the baby and after Janice suctioned his mouth he came to my chest. He and I got to snuggle for about an hour before they took him to clean him up. Heaven!
The whole thing left me so invigorated and empowered...in complete awe of the sweetness of everything that happened during those early morning hours. So grateful to be a mommy.

8 comments:

Kevin & Mari said...

Wow, Em. You are simply, absolutely amazing. I'm soo happy for you. :)

Talk to you soon!

Di said...

Oh Em! Makes me all teary-eyed...isn't birth amazing? Yay for Trent being so involved, and Yay for you being so strong!!!

April said...

Thanks for sharing such a personal, spiritual experience. It is great to be a mommy!

Dionne said...

Thanks for sharing that Emily -- I know almost exactly what you are talking about and it is so different to do it that way than the other -- of course there is not just one right way. . . but I love hearing how you LOVED this birth. Empowering is a great word for it all. And then for your definition of your own mother: of the wise variety, I thought that was so descriptive:)

wisp said...

Emmy, you amaze me. I am so proud of you and how strong you are. You are a wonderful mother. :) Congratulations!

Beth said...

I really liked your discription. thanks for sharing . There are only a few moments in a womans life when she is truly wonder woman!

mjsmommy said...

WOW! I am so happy that you were blessed with such a wonderful delivery! Congratulations, when health care professionals let our bodies do what they need to things go so blessedly smooth!

Matthew Neal said...

Em, what a wonderful story! I can sense the peace and joy you felt just reading the words you wrote! Amazing!!